Design, Optimization and Fabrication of a 28.3...THz Nano-Rectenna for Infrared Detection and Rectification
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Integrated Microwave Packaging Antennas and Circuits Technology (IMPACT) Lab
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe increasing energy demands of the world's population and the quickly diminishing fossil fuel reserves together suggest the urgent need to secure long-lasting alternative and renewable energy resources. Here, we present a THz antenna integrated with a rectifier (rectenna) for harvesting infrared energy. We demonstrate a resonant bowtie antenna that has been optimized to produce highly enhanced localized fields at the bow tip. To benefit from this enhancement, the rectifier is realized between the overlapped antenna's arms using a 0.7...nm copper oxide. The thin film diode offers low zero bias resistance of 500...?, thus improving the impedance matching with the antenna. In addition, the rectenna prototype demonstrates high zero bias responsivity (4...A/W), which is critical in producing DC current directly from THz signals without the application of an external electric source, particularly for energy harvesting applications.
CitationGadalla MN, Abdel-Rahman M, Shamim A (2014) Design, Optimization and Fabrication of a 28.3 THz Nano-Rectenna for Infrared Detection and Rectification. Sci Rep 4. doi:10.1038/srep04270.
PublisherNature Publishing Group
PubMed Central IDPMC3944318
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
- Efficient full-spectrum utilization, reception and conversion of solar energy by broad-band nanospiral antenna.
- Authors: Zhao H, Gao H, Cao T, Li B
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 22
- Terahertz Detection and Imaging Using Graphene Ballistic Rectifiers.
- Authors: Auton G, But DB, Zhang J, Hill E, Coquillat D, Consejo C, Nouvel P, Knap W, Varani L, Teppe F, Torres J, Song A
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 8
- Development of a Compact Rectenna for Wireless Powering of a Head-Mountable Deep Brain Stimulation Device.
- Authors: Hosain MD, Kouzani AZ, Tye SJ, Abulseoud OA, Amiet A, Galehdar A, Kaynak A, Berk M
- Issue date: 2014
- A carbon nanotube optical rectenna.
- Authors: Sharma A, Singh V, Bougher TL, Cola BA
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- A Microbolometer System for Radiation Detection in the THz Frequency Range with a Resonating Cavity Fabricated in the CMOS Technology.
- Authors: Sesek A, Zemva A, Trontelj J
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 14