Design, Optimization and Fabrication of a 28.3...THz Nano-Rectenna for Infrared Detection and Rectification
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Electrical Engineering Program
Integrated Microwave Packaging Antennas and Circuits Technology (IMPACT) Lab
Online Publication Date2014-03-06
Print Publication Date2015-05
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/325424
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe increasing energy demands of the world's population and the quickly diminishing fossil fuel reserves together suggest the urgent need to secure long-lasting alternative and renewable energy resources. Here, we present a THz antenna integrated with a rectifier (rectenna) for harvesting infrared energy. We demonstrate a resonant bowtie antenna that has been optimized to produce highly enhanced localized fields at the bow tip. To benefit from this enhancement, the rectifier is realized between the overlapped antenna's arms using a 0.7...nm copper oxide. The thin film diode offers low zero bias resistance of 500...?, thus improving the impedance matching with the antenna. In addition, the rectenna prototype demonstrates high zero bias responsivity (4...A/W), which is critical in producing DC current directly from THz signals without the application of an external electric source, particularly for energy harvesting applications.
CitationGadalla MN, Abdel-Rahman M, Shamim A (2014) Design, Optimization and Fabrication of a 28.3 THz Nano-Rectenna for Infrared Detection and Rectification. Sci Rep 4. doi:10.1038/srep04270.
PubMed Central IDPMC3944318
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
- Metamaterial-Integrated High-Gain Rectenna for RF Sensing and Energy Harvesting Applications.
- Authors: Lee W, Choi SI, Kim HI, Hwang S, Jeon S, Yoon YK
- Issue date: 2021 Oct 1
- Numerical Analysis of MIM-Based Log-Spiral Rectennas for Efficient Infrared Energy Harvesting.
- Authors: Yahyaoui A, Elsharabasy A, Yousaf J, Rmili H
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 8
- Oxides for Rectenna Technology.
- Authors: Mitrovic IZ, Almalki S, Tekin SB, Sedghi N, Chalker PR, Hall S
- Issue date: 2021 Sep 10
- Triple-Band Single-Layer Rectenna for Outdoor RF Energy Harvesting Applications.
- Authors: Boursianis AD, Papadopoulou MS, Koulouridis S, Rocca P, Georgiadis A, Tentzeris MM, Goudos SK
- Issue date: 2021 May 16
- Nano-rectenna powered body-centric nano-networks in the terahertz band.
- Authors: Rong Z, Leeson MS, Higgins MD, Lu Y
- Issue date: 2018 Aug