KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBiomembranes shown to behave like elastic sheets, can also suffer plastic deformations. Neutron scattering experiments on partially polymerised wrinkled membranes revealed that when a critical degree of polymerisation is crossed, the wrinkled membranes do not resume their spherical shapes. Instead they remain wrinkled and rigid while their non-polymerised counterparts resume their spherical floppy shapes. The yield stress of these membranes, measured for the first time via the fractal dimension, is intimately related to the degree of polymerisation probably through a 2D disorder that quenches the lateral diffusion of the lipid molecules. This work might shed light on the physical reason behind the irreversible deformation of echinocytes, acanthocytes and malaria infected red blood cells.
CitationChaieb S (2014) Elasto-plasticity in wrinkled polymerized lipid membranes. Sci Rep 4. doi:10.1038/srep03699.
PublisherNature Publishing Group
PubMed Central IDPMC3892442
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/
- Glassy conformations in wrinkled membranes.
- Authors: Chaieb S, Natrajan VK, El-rahman AA
- Issue date: 2006 Feb 24
- Why the wrinkling transition in partially polymerized membranes is not universal? Fractal-multifractal hierarchy.
- Authors: Chaieb S, Málková S, Lal J
- Issue date: 2008 Mar 7
- Mechanics and thermodynamics of biomembranes: part 2.
- Authors: Evans EA, Skalak R
- Issue date: 1979 Nov
- Lipid lateral diffusion and membrane organization.
- Authors: Tocanne JF, Dupou-Cézanne L, Lopez A, Tournier JF
- Issue date: 1989 Oct 23
- Confined mobility in biomembranes modeled by early stage Brownian motion.
- Authors: Gmachowski L
- Issue date: 2014 Aug