Polarization enhancement and ferroelectric switching enabled by interacting magnetic structures in DyMnO3 thin films
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe mutual controls of ferroelectricity and magnetism are stepping towards practical applications proposed for quite a few promising devices in which multiferroic thin films are involved. Although ferroelectricity stemming from specific spiral spin ordering has been reported in highly distorted bulk perovskite manganites, the existence of magnetically induced ferroelectricity in the corresponding thin films remains an unresolved issue, which unfortunately halts this step. In this work, we report magnetically induced electric polarization and its remarkable response to magnetic field (an enhancement of ?800% upon a field of 2 Tesla at 2 K) in DyMnO3 thin films grown on Nb-SrTiO3 substrates. Accompanying with the large polarization enhancement, the ferroelectric coercivity corresponding to the magnetic chirality switching field is significantly increased. A picture based on coupled multicomponent magnetic structures is proposed to understand these features. Moreover, different magnetic anisotropy related to strain-suppressed GdFeO 3-type distortion and Jahn-Teller effect is identified in the films.
CitationLu C, Dong S, Xia Z, Luo H, Yan Z, et al. (2013) Polarization enhancement and ferroelectric switching enabled by interacting magnetic structures in DyMnO3 thin films. Sci Rep 3. doi:10.1038/srep03374.
PublisherNature Publishing Group
PubMed Central IDPMC3844969
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
- PbTiO<sub>3</sub>-based perovskite ferroelectric and multiferroic thin films.
- Authors: Wang Y, Zhao H, Zhang L, Chen J, Xing X
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 21
- Coupled ferroelectric polarization and magnetization in spinel FeCr2S4.
- Authors: Lin L, Zhu HX, Jiang XM, Wang KF, Dong S, Yan ZB, Yang ZR, Wan JG, Liu JM
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 6
- Continuous Magnetoelectric Control in Multiferroic DyMnO3 Films with Twin-like Domains.
- Authors: Lu C, Deniz H, Li X, Liu JM, Cheong SW
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 2
- Room temperature ferroelectricity in fluoroperovskite thin films.
- Authors: Yang M, Kc A, Garcia-Castro AC, Borisov P, Bousquet E, Lederman D, Romero AH, Cen C
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 3
- Unusual Ferroelectricity in Two-Dimensional Perovskite Oxide Thin Films.
- Authors: Lu J, Luo W, Feng J, Xiang H
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 10