Quasi free-standing silicene in a superlattice with hexagonal boron nitride
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/325394
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe study a superlattice of silicene and hexagonal boron nitride by first principles calculations and demonstrate that the interaction between the layers of the superlattice is very small. As a consequence, quasi free-standing silicene is realized in this superlattice. In particular, the Dirac cone of silicene is preserved. Due to the wide band gap of hexagonal boron nitride, the superlattice realizes the characteristic physical phenomena of free-standing silicene. In particular, we address by model calculations the combined effect of the intrinsic spin-orbit coupling and an external electric field, which induces a transition from a semimetal to a topological insulator and further to a band insulator.
CitationKaloni TP, Tahir M, Schwingenschlögl U (2013) Quasi free-standing silicene in a superlattice with hexagonal boron nitride. Sci Rep 3. doi:10.1038/srep03192.
PublisherNature Publishing Group
PubMed Central IDPMC3824161
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
- Encapsulated Silicene: A Robust Large-Gap Topological Insulator.
- Authors: Kou L, Ma Y, Yan B, Tan X, Chen C, Smith SC
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 2
- Structures and chemical properties of silicene: unlike graphene.
- Authors: Jose D, Datta A
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 18
- Valley polarized quantum Hall effect and topological insulator phase transitions in silicene.
- Authors: Tahir M, Schwingenschlögl U
- Issue date: 2013
- Structural and electronic properties of germanene/MoS2 monolayer and silicene/MoS2 monolayer superlattices.
- Authors: Li X, Wu S, Zhou S, Zhu Z
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 8
- First-Principles Study of the Transport Properties of Graphene-Hexagonal Boron Nitride Superlattice.
- Authors: Wang XM, Lu SS
- Issue date: 2015 Apr