Bending-induced electromechanical coupling and large piezoelectric response in a micromachined diaphragm
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Nanofabrication and Thin Film Core Lab
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Advanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/325393
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe investigated the dependence of electromechanical coupling and the piezoelectric response of a micromachined Pb(Zr 0.52 Ti 0.48)O 3 (PZT) diaphragm on its curvature by observing the impedance spectrum and central deflection responses to a small AC voltage. The curvature of the diaphragm was controlled by applying air pressure to its back. We found that a depolarized flat diaphragm does not initially exhibit electromechanical coupling or the piezoelectric response. However, upon the application of static air pressure to the diaphragm, both electromechanical coupling and the piezoelectric response can be induced in the originally depolarized diaphragm. The piezoelectric response increases as the curvature increases and a giant piezoelectric response can be obtained from a bent diaphragm. The obtained results clearly demonstrate that a high strain gradient in a diaphragm can polarize a PZT film through a flexoelectric effect, and that the induced piezoelectric response of the diaphragm can be controlled by adjusting its curvature.
CitationWang Z, Yao Y, Wang X, Yue W, Chen L, et al. (2013) Bending-induced electromechanical coupling and large piezoelectric response in a micromachined diaphragm. Sci Rep 3. doi:10.1038/srep03127.
PublisherNature Publishing Group
PubMed Central IDPMC3816290
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareALike 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/
- An analytical solution for curved piezoelectric micromachined ultrasonic transducers with spherically shaped diaphragms.
- Authors: Sammoura F, Akhbari S, Lin L
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Self-separated PZT thick films with bulk-like piezoelectric and electromechanical properties.
- Authors: Su Q, Zhu B, Lee JH, Bi Z, Shung K, Zhou Q, Takeuchi S, Park BH, Jia Q, Wang H
- Issue date: 2011 Jun 14
- An electromechanical coupling model of a bending vibration type piezoelectric ultrasonic transducer.
- Authors: Zhang Q, Shi S, Chen W
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Nonlinear bending deformation of soft electrets and prospects for engineering flexoelectricity and transverse (d<sub>31</sub>) piezoelectricity.
- Authors: Rahmati AH, Yang S, Bauer S, Sharma P
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 19
- Vibration of micromachined circular piezoelectric diaphragms.
- Authors: Hong E, Trolier-McKinstry S, Smith R, Krishnaswamy SV, Freidhoff CB
- Issue date: 2006 Apr