A dynamically reconfigurable Fano metamaterial through graphene tuning for switching and sensing applications
KAUST DepartmentComputational Electromagnetics Laboratory
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Electrical Engineering Program
Online Publication Date2013-07-01
Print Publication Date2013-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/325384
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report on a novel electrically tunable hybrid graphene-gold Fano resonator. The proposed metamaterial consists of a square graphene patch and a square gold frame. The destructive interference between the narrow- and broadband dipolar surface plasmons, which are induced respectively on the surfaces of the graphene patch and the gold frame, leads to the plasmonic equivalent of electromagnetically induced transparency (EIT). The response of the metamaterial is polarization independent due to the symmetry of the structure and its spectral features are shown to be highly controllable by changing a gate voltage applied to the graphene patch. Additionally, effective group index of the device is retrieved and is found to be very high within the EIT window suggesting its potential use in slow light applications. Potential outcomes such as high sensing ability and switching at terahertz frequencies are demonstrated through numerical simulations with realistic parameters.
CitationAmin M, Farhat M, Baǧcı H (2013) A dynamically reconfigurable Fano metamaterial through graphene tuning for switching and sensing applications. Sci Rep 3. doi:10.1038/srep02105.
PubMed Central IDPMC3696901
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
- Dynamic metamaterial based on the graphene split ring high-Q Fano-resonnator for sensing applications.
- Authors: Tang W, Wang L, Chen X, Liu C, Yu A, Lu W
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 18
- Graphene-based tunable terahertz plasmon-induced transparency metamaterial.
- Authors: Zhao X, Yuan C, Zhu L, Yao J
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 18
- Graphene-based electromagnetically induced transparency with coupling Fabry-Perot resonators.
- Authors: Zhuang H, Kong F, Li K, Sheng S
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 20
- Graphene based tunable metamaterial absorber and polarization modulation in terahertz frequency.
- Authors: Zhang Y, Feng Y, Zhu B, Zhao J, Jiang T
- Issue date: 2014 Sep 22
- A novel planar metamaterial design for electromagnetically induced transparency and slow light.
- Authors: Wang J, Yuan B, Fan C, He J, Ding P, Xue Q, Liang E
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 21