Quantum capacitance of an ultrathin topological insulator film in a magnetic field
KAUST DepartmentComputational Physics and Materials Science (CPMS)
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Preprint Posting Date2013-02-06
Online Publication Date2013-02-12
Print Publication Date2013-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/325378
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe present a theoretical study of the quantum magnetocapacitance of an ultrathin topological insulator film in an external magnetic field. The study is undertaken to investigate the interplay of the Zeeman interaction with the hybridization between the upper and lower surfaces of the thin film. Determining the density of states, we find that the electron-hole symmetry is broken when the Zeeman and hybridization energies are varied relative to each other. This leads to a change in the character of the magnetocapacitance at the charge neutrality point. We further show that in the presence of both Zeeman interaction and hybridization the magnetocapacitance exhibits beating at low and splitting of the Shubnikov de Haas oscillations at high perpendicular magnetic field. In addition, we address the crossover from perpendicular to parallel magnetic field and find consistency with recent experimental data.
CitationTahir M, Sabeeh K, Schwingenschlögl U (2013) Quantum capacitance of an ultrathin topological insulator film in a magnetic field. Sci Rep 3. doi:10.1038/srep01261.
PubMed Central IDPMC3569631
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
- Quantum Capacitance of a Topological Insulator-Ferromagnet Interface.
- Authors: Siu ZB, Chowdhury D, Jalil MB, Basu B
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 24
- Anomalous Phase Shift of Quantum Oscillations in 3D Topological Semimetals.
- Authors: Wang CM, Lu HZ, Shen SQ
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 12
- Thermoelectric properties of an ultra-thin topological insulator.
- Authors: Islam SK, Ghosh TK
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 23
- Stark and Zeeman effects on the topological phase and transport properties of topological crystalline insulator thin films.
- Authors: Huong PT, Nguyen CV, Phuc HV, Hieu NN, Hoi BD, Phuong LTT
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 7
- Magneto-optical properties of topological insulator thin films with broken inversion symmetry.
- Authors: Rahim K, Ullah A, Tahir M, Sabeeh K
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 25