Valley polarized quantum Hall effect and topological insulator phase transitions in silicene
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe electronic properties of silicene are distinct from both the conventional two dimensional electron gas and the famous graphene due to strong spin orbit interaction and the buckled structure. Silicene has the potential to overcome limitations encountered for graphene, in particular the zero band gap and weak spin orbit interaction. We demonstrate a valley polarized quantum Hall effect and topological insulator phase transitions. We use the Kubo formalism to discuss the Hall conductivity and address the longitudinal conductivity for elastic impurity scattering in the first Born approximation. We show that the combination of an electric field with intrinsic spin orbit interaction leads to quantum phase transitions at the charge neutrality point, providing a tool to experimentally tune the topological state. Silicene constitutes a model system for exploring the spin and valley physics not accessible in graphene due to the small spin orbit interaction.
CitationTahir M, Schwingenschlögl U (2013) Valley polarized quantum Hall effect and topological insulator phase transitions in silicene. Sci Rep 3. doi:10.1038/srep01075.
PublisherNature Publishing Group
PubMed Central IDPMC3555089
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
- Valley-polarized metals and quantum anomalous Hall effect in silicene.
- Authors: Ezawa M
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 3
- Two-dimensional topological insulator state and topological phase transition in bilayer graphene.
- Authors: Qiao Z, Tse WK, Jiang H, Yao Y, Niu Q
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 16
- Valley-polarized quantum anomalous Hall effect in silicene.
- Authors: Pan H, Li Z, Liu CC, Zhu G, Qiao Z, Yao Y
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 14
- Quantum spin Hall effect in silicene and two-dimensional germanium.
- Authors: Liu CC, Feng W, Yao Y
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 12
- Quantum valley Hall states and topological transitions in Pt(Ni, Pd)-decorated silicene: a first-principles study.
- Authors: Zhao B, Zhang J, Wang Y, Yang Z
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 28