A novel series of isoreticular metal organic frameworks: Realizing metastable structures by liquid phase epitaxy
Arslan, Hasan Kemal
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Online Publication Date2012-12-04
Print Publication Date2012-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/325372
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA novel class of metal organic frameworks (MOFs) has been synthesized from Cu-acetate and dicarboxylic acids using liquid phase epitaxy. The SURMOF-2 isoreticular series exhibits P4 symmetry, for the longest linker a channel-size of 3 3 nm2 is obtained, one of the largest values reported for any MOF so far. High quality, ab-initio electronic structure calculations confirm the stability of a regular packing of (Cu++) 2-carboxylate paddle-wheel planes with P4 symmetry and reveal, that the SURMOF-2 structures are in fact metastable, with a fairly large activation barrier for the transition to the bulk MOF-2 structures exhibiting a lower, twofold (P2 or C2) symmetry. The theoretical calculations also allow identifying the mechanism for the low-temperature epitaxial growth process and to explain, why a synthesis of this highly interesting, new class of high-symmetry, metastable MOFs is not possible using the conventional solvothermal process.
CitationLiu J, Lukose B, Shekhah O, Arslan HK, Weidler P, et al. (2012) A novel series of isoreticular metal organic frameworks: realizing metastable structures by liquid phase epitaxy. Sci Rep 2. doi:10.1038/srep00921.
PubMed Central IDPMC3513965
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
- Intercalation in layered metal-organic frameworks: reversible inclusion of an extended π-system.
- Authors: Arslan HK, Shekhah O, Wieland DC, Paulus M, Sternemann C, Schroer MA, Tiemeyer S, Tolan M, Fischer RA, Wöll C
- Issue date: 2011 Jun 1
- Isoreticular expansion of metal-organic frameworks with triangular and square building units and the lowest calculated density for porous crystals.
- Authors: Furukawa H, Go YB, Ko N, Park YK, Uribe-Romo FJ, Kim J, O'Keeffe M, Yaghi OM
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 19
- Three-dimensional metal-organic frameworks based on tetrahedral and square-planar building blocks: hydrogen sorption and dye uptake studies.
- Authors: Liu D, Xie Z, Ma L, Lin W
- Issue date: 2010 Oct 18
- Luminescent triarylboron-functionalized zinc carboxylate metal-organic framework.
- Authors: Blight BA, Guillet-Nicolas R, Kleitz F, Wang RY, Wang S
- Issue date: 2013 Feb 18
- Synthesis, structures, and properties of two three-dimensional metal-organic frameworks, based on concurrent ligand extension.
- Authors: Shi D, Ren Y, Jiang H, Cai B, Lu J
- Issue date: 2012 Jun 18