Gypsum (CaSO42H2O) scaling on polybenzimidazole and cellulose acetate hollow fiber membranes under forward osmosis
KAUST DepartmentWater Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/325363
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have examined the gypsum (CaSO42H2O) scaling phenomena on membranes with different physicochemical properties in forward osmosis (FO) processes. Three hollow fiber membranes made of (1) cellulose acetate (CA), (2) polybenzimidazole (PBI)/polyethersulfone (PES) and (3) PBI-polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane (POSS)/polyacrylonitrile (PAN) were studied. For the first time in FO processes, we have found that surface ionic interactions dominate gypsum scaling on the membrane surface. A 70% flux reduction was observed on negatively charged CA and PBI membrane surfaces, due to strong attractive forces. The PBI membrane surface also showed a slightly positive charge at a low pH value of 3 and exhibited a 30% flux reduction. The atomic force microscopy (AFM) force measurements confirmed a strong repulsive force between gypsum and PBI at a pH value of 3. The newly developed PBI-POSS/PAN membrane had ridge morphology and a contact angle of 51.42 14.85 after the addition of hydrophilic POSS nanoparticles and 3 min thermal treatment at 95 C. Minimal scaling and an only 1.3% flux reduction were observed at a pH value of 3. Such a ridge structure may reduce scaling by not providing a locally flat surface to the crystallite at a pH value of 3; thus, gypsum would be easily washed away from the surface. 2013 by the authors; licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland.
CitationChen S, Su J, Fu F-J, Mi B, Chung T-S (2013) Gypsum (CaSO4·2H2O) Scaling on Polybenzimidazole and Cellulose Acetate Hollow Fiber Membranes under Forward Osmosis. Membranes 3: 354-374. doi:10.3390/membranes3040354.
PubMed Central IDPMC4021950
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/).
- Gypsum scaling and cleaning in forward osmosis: measurements and mechanisms.
- Authors: Mi B, Elimelech M
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 15
- Dual-layer hollow fibers with enhanced flux as novel forward osmosis membranes for water production.
- Authors: Yang Q, Wang KY, Chung TS
- Issue date: 2009 Apr 15
- Ferric and cobaltous hydroacid complexes for forward osmosis (FO) processes.
- Authors: Ge Q, Fu F, Chung TS
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 1
- Water reclamation from emulsified oily wastewater via effective forward osmosis hollow fiber membranes under the PRO mode.
- Authors: Han G, de Wit JS, Chung TS
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 15
- Behaviour of Aquaporin Forward Osmosis Flat Sheet Membranes during the Concentration of Calcium-Containing Liquids.
- Authors: Omir A, Satayeva A, Chinakulova A, Kamal A, Kim J, Inglezakis VJ, Arkhangelsky E
- Issue date: 2020 May 22