Recently confirmed apoptosis-inducing lead compounds isolated from marine sponge of potential relevance in cancer treatment
KAUST DepartmentComputational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Applied Mathematics and Computational Science Program
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/325362
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDespite intense efforts to develop non-cytotoxic anticancer treatments, effective agents are still not available. Therefore, novel apoptosis-inducing drug leads that may be developed into effective targeted cancer therapies are of interest to the cancer research community. Targeted cancer therapies affect specific aberrant apoptotic pathways that characterize different cancer types and, for this reason, it is a more desirable type of therapy than chemotherapy or radiotherapy, as it is less harmful to normal cells. In this regard, marine sponge derived metabolites that induce apoptosis continue to be a promising source of new drug leads for cancer treatments. A PubMed query from 01/01/2005 to 31/01/2011 combined with hand-curation of the retrieved articles allowed for the identification of 39 recently confirmed apoptosis-inducing anticancer lead compounds isolated from the marine sponge that are selectively discussed in this review. 2011 by the authors.
CitationEssack M, Bajic VB, Archer JAC (2011) Recently Confirmed Apoptosis-Inducing Lead Compounds Isolated from Marine Sponge of Potential Relevance in Cancer Treatment. Marine Drugs 9: 1580-1606. doi:10.3390/md9091580.
PubMed Central IDPMC3225937
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This article is an open-access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/).
- Marine Sponge Natural Products with Anticancer Potential: An Updated Review.
- Authors: Calcabrini C, Catanzaro E, Bishayee A, Turrini E, Fimognari C
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 13
- Antiangiogenic effects of marine sponge derived compounds on cancer.
- Authors: Senthilkumar K, Venkatesan J, Manivasagan P, Kim SK
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Induction of apoptosis in human cancer cells by candidaspongiolide, a novel sponge polyketide.
- Authors: Trisciuoglio D, Uranchimeg B, Cardellina JH, Meragelman TL, Matsunaga S, Fusetani N, Del Bufalo D, Shoemaker RH, Melillo G
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 3
- Synthesis and structure-activity relationships for cytotoxicity and apoptosis-inducing activity of (+)-halichonine B.
- Authors: Hayakawa I, Nakamura T, Ohno O, Suenaga K, Kigoshi H
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 21
- Cytotoxic Natural Products from Marine Sponge-Derived Microorganisms.
- Authors: Zhang H, Zhao Z, Wang H
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 10