Determination of nanoparticle size distribution together with density or molecular weight by 2D analytical ultracentrifugation
AuthorsCarney, Randy P.
Kim, Jin Young
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNanoparticles are finding many research and industrial applications, yet their characterization remains a challenge. Their cores are often polydisperse and coated by a stabilizing shell that varies in size and composition. No single technique can characterize both the size distribution and the nature of the shell. Advances in analytical ultracentrifugation allow for the extraction of the sedimentation (s) and diffusion coefficients (D). Here we report an approach to transform the s and D distributions of nanoparticles in solution into precise molecular weight (M), density (?P) and particle diameter (dp) distributions. M for mixtures of discrete nanocrystals is found within 4% of the known quantities. The accuracy and the density information we achieve on nanoparticles are unparalleled. A single experimental run is sufficient for full nanoparticle characterization, without the need for standards or other auxiliary measurements. We believe that our method is of general applicability and we discuss its limitations. 2011 Macmillan Publishers Limited. All rights reserved.
CitationCarney RP, Kim JY, Qian H, Jin R, Mehenni H, et al. (2011) Determination of nanoparticle size distribution together with density or molecular weight by 2D analytical ultracentrifugation. Nature Communications 2: 335. doi:10.1038/ncomms1338.
PubMed Central IDPMC3158653
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/
- Multidimensional analysis of nanoparticles with highly disperse properties using multiwavelength analytical ultracentrifugation.
- Authors: Walter J, Löhr K, Karabudak E, Reis W, Mikhael J, Peukert W, Wohlleben W, Cölfen H
- Issue date: 2014 Sep 23
- Size and density measurement of core-shell Si nanoparticles by analytical ultracentrifugation.
- Authors: Nontapot K, Rastogi V, Fagan JA, Reipa V
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 19
- Measuring agglomerate size distribution and dependence of localized surface plasmon resonance absorbance on gold nanoparticle agglomerate size using analytical ultracentrifugation.
- Authors: Zook JM, Rastogi V, Maccuspie RI, Keene AM, Fagan J
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 25
- 2D analysis of polydisperse core-shell nanoparticles using analytical ultracentrifugation.
- Authors: Walter J, Gorbet G, Akdas T, Segets D, Demeler B, Peukert W
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 19
- Macromolecular size-and-shape distributions by sedimentation velocity analytical ultracentrifugation.
- Authors: Brown PH, Schuck P
- Issue date: 2006 Jun 15