KAUST DepartmentComputational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Computer Science Program
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/325264
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAs advances in life sciences and information technology bring profound influences on bioinformatics due to its interdisciplinary nature, bioinformatics is experiencing a new leap-forward from in-house computing infrastructure into utility-supplied cloud computing delivered over the Internet, in order to handle the vast quantities of biological data generated by high-throughput experimental technologies. Albeit relatively new, cloud computing promises to address big data storage and analysis issues in the bioinformatics field. Here we review extant cloud-based services in bioinformatics, classify them into Data as a Service (DaaS), Software as a Service (SaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), and present our perspectives on the adoption of cloud computing in bioinformatics.This article was reviewed by Frank Eisenhaber, Igor Zhulin, and Sandor Pongor. 2012 Dai et al.; licensee BioMed Central Ltd.
CitationDai L, Gao X, Guo Y, Xiao J, Zhang Z (2012) Bioinformatics clouds for big data manipulation. Biology Direct 7: 43. doi:10.1186/1745-6150-7-43.
PubMed Central IDPMC3533974
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- XMPP for cloud computing in bioinformatics supporting discovery and invocation of asynchronous web services.
- Authors: Wagener J, Spjuth O, Willighagen EL, Wikberg JE
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 4
- When cloud computing meets bioinformatics: a review.
- Authors: Zhou S, Liao R, Guan J
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Cloud based emergency health care information service in India.
- Authors: Karthikeyan N, Sukanesh R
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- A service brokering and recommendation mechanism for better selecting cloud services.
- Authors: Gui Z, Yang C, Xia J, Huang Q, Liu K, Li Z, Yu M, Sun M, Zhou N, Jin B
- Issue date: 2014
- BAAQ: an infrastructure for application integration and knowledge discovery in bioinformatics.
- Authors: Gong X, Nakamura K, Yu H, Yura K, Go N
- Issue date: 2007 Jul