AuthorsGehring, Christoph A
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Online Publication Date2010-06-25
Print Publication Date2010
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/325261
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn lower eukaryotes and animals 3'-5'-cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP) and adenyl cyclases (ACs), enzymes that catalyse the formation of cAMP from ATP, have long been established as key components and second messengers in many signaling pathways. In contrast, in plants, both the presence and biological role of cAMP have been a matter of ongoing debate and some controversy. Here we shall focus firstly on the discovery of cellular cAMP in plants and evidence for a role of this second messenger in plant signal transduction. Secondly, we shall review current evidence of plant ACs, analyse aspects of their domain organisations and the biological roles of candidate molecules. In addition, we shall assess different approaches based on search motifs consisting of functionally assigned amino acids in the catalytic centre of annotated and/or experimentally tested nucleotide cyclases that can contribute to the identification of novel candidate molecules with AC activity such as F-box and TIR proteins. 2010 Gehring; licensee BioMed Central Ltd.
CitationGehring C (2010) Adenyl cyclases and cAMP in plant signaling - past and present. Cell Communication and Signaling 8: 15. doi:10.1186/1478-811X-8-15.
JournalCell Communication and Signaling
PubMed Central IDPMC2907374
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Recombinant expression and functional testing of candidate adenylate cyclase domains.
- Authors: Ruzvidzo O, Dikobe BT, Kawadza DT, Mabadahanye GH, Chatukuta P, Kwezi L
- Issue date: 2013
- The Arabidopsis thaliana K(+)-uptake permease 7 (AtKUP7) contains a functional cytosolic adenylate cyclase catalytic centre.
- Authors: Al-Younis I, Wong A, Gehring C
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 21
- Functional Crypto-Adenylate Cyclases Operate in Complex Plant Proteins.
- Authors: Al-Younis I, Moosa B, Kwiatkowski M, Jaworski K, Wong A, Gehring C
- Issue date: 2021
- Cyclic Nucleotide Monophosphates in Plants and Plant Signaling.
- Authors: Marondedze C, Wong A, Thomas L, Irving H, Gehring C
- Issue date: 2017
- Cyclic Nucleotide Monophosphates and Their Cyclases in Plant Signaling.
- Authors: Gehring C, Turek IS
- Issue date: 2017