First biological measurements of deep-sea corals from the Red Sea.
Berumen, Michael L.
Al-Suwailem, Abdulaziz M.
Voolstra, Christian R.
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Coastal and Marine Resources Core Lab
Marine Science Program
Red Sea Research Center (RSRC)
Reef Ecology Lab
Reef Genomics Lab
Online Publication Date2013-10-03
Print Publication Date2013-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/323557
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIt is usually assumed that metabolic constraints restrict deep-sea corals to cold-water habitats, with 'deep-sea' and 'cold-water' corals often used as synonymous. Here we report on the first measurements of biological characters of deep-sea corals from the central Red Sea, where they occur at temperatures exceeding 20°C in highly oligotrophic and oxygen-limited waters. Low respiration rates, low calcification rates, and minimized tissue cover indicate that a reduced metabolism is one of the key adaptations to prevailing environmental conditions. We investigated four sites and encountered six species of which at least two appear to be undescribed. One species is previously reported from the Red Sea but occurs in deep cold waters outside the Red Sea raising interesting questions about presumed environmental constraints for other deep-sea corals. Our findings suggest that the present understanding of deep-sea coral persistence and resilience needs to be revisited.
CitationRoder C, Berumen ML, Bouwmeester J, Papathanassiou E, Al-Suwailem A, et al. (2013) First biological measurements of deep-sea corals from the Red Sea. Sci Rep 3. doi:10.1038/srep02802.
PubMed Central IDPMC3789407
- Hydroids (Cnidaria, Hydrozoa) from Mauritanian Coral Mounds.
- Authors: Gil M, Ramil F, AgÍs JA
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 16
- Transcriptomes and expression profiling of deep-sea corals from the Red Sea provide insight into the biology of azooxanthellate corals.
- Authors: Yum LK, Baumgarten S, Röthig T, Roder C, Roik A, Michell C, Voolstra CR
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 25
- Evolution of body size, vision, and biodiversity of coral-associated organisms: evidence from fossil crustaceans in cold-water coral and tropical coral ecosystems.
- Authors: Klompmaker AA, Jakobsen SL, Lauridsen BW
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 16
- Discovery of deep-water coral frameworks in the northern Red Sea waters of Saudi Arabia.
- Authors: Qurban MA, Krishnakumar PK, Joydas TV, Manikandan KP, Ashraf TTM, Sampath G, Thiyagarajan D, He S, Cairns SD
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 18
- Diversity of culturable bacteria in the mucus of the Red Sea coral Fungia scutaria.
- Authors: Lampert Y, Kelman D, Dubinsky Z, Nitzan Y, Hill RT
- Issue date: 2006 Oct