Diversity of picoeukaryotes at an oligotrophic site off the Northeastern Red Sea Coast.
Article - Aquatic Biosystems - Diversity of picoeukaryotes at an oligotrophic site off the Northeastern Red Sea Coast - 2013.pdf
Article - Full Text
Additional file 1: Figure S1
Additional file 2: Figure S2
Additional file 3: Figure S3
Additional file 4: Figure S4
Additional file 5: Figure S5
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Marine Microbial Ecology Research Group
Marine Science Program
Red Sea Research Center (RSRC)
Online Publication Date2013-08-20
Print Publication Date2013
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/323526
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPicoeukaryotes are protists ≤ 3 μm composed of a wide diversity of taxonomic groups. They are an important constituent of the ocean's microbiota and perform essential ecological roles in marine nutrient and carbon cycles. Despite their importance, the true extent of their diversity has only recently been uncovered by molecular surveys that resulted in the discovery of a substantial number of previously unknown groups. No study on picoeukaryote diversity has been conducted so far in the main Red Sea basin-a unique marine environment characterized by oligotrophic conditions, high levels of irradiance, high salinity and increased water temperature.
CitationAcosta F, Ngugi D, Stingl U (2013) Diversity of picoeukaryotes at an oligotrophic site off the Northeastern Red Sea Coast. Aquatic Biosystems 9: 16. doi:10.1186/2046-9063-9-16.
PubMed Central IDPMC3766091
- Picoeukaryotic diversity and distribution in the subtropical-tropical South China Sea.
- Authors: Wu W, Huang B, Liao Y, Sun P
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Winter picoplankton diversity in an oligotrophic marginal sea.
- Authors: Mucko M, Bosak S, Casotti R, Balestra C, Ljubešić Z
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Vertical distribution of picoeukaryotic diversity in the Sargasso Sea.
- Authors: Not F, Gausling R, Azam F, Heidelberg JF, Worden AZ
- Issue date: 2007 May
- Picoeukaryotic diversity in an oligotrophic coastal site studied by molecular and culturing approaches.
- Authors: Massana R, Balagué V, Guillou L, Pedrós-Alió C
- Issue date: 2004 Nov 1
- Groups without cultured representatives dominate eukaryotic picophytoplankton in the oligotrophic South East Pacific Ocean.
- Authors: Shi XL, Marie D, Jardillier L, Scanlan DJ, Vaulot D
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 29