Cytotoxic and apoptotic evaluations of marine bacteria isolated from brine-seawater interface of the Red Sea.
Hikmawan, Tyas I.
Holtermann, Karie Ellen
Bajic, Vladimir B.
KAUST DepartmentApplied Mathematics and Computational Science Program
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Computational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Marine Science Program
Red Sea Research Center (RSRC)
Online Publication Date2013-02-06
Print Publication Date2013-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/323507
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHigh salinity and temperature combined with presence of heavy metals and low oxygen renders deep-sea anoxic brines of the Red Sea as one of the most extreme environments on Earth. The ability to adapt and survive in these extreme environments makes inhabiting bacteria interesting candidates for the search of novel bioactive molecules.
CitationSagar S, Esau L, Hikmawan T, Antunes A, Holtermann K, et al. (2013) Cytotoxic and apoptotic evaluations of marine bacteria isolated from brine-seawater interface of the Red Sea. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 13: 29. doi:10.1186/1472-6882-13-29.
PubMed Central IDPMC3598566
CollectionsArticles; Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division; Red Sea Research Center (RSRC); Marine Science Program; Applied Mathematics and Computational Science Program; Computational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC); Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
- Induction of apoptosis in cancer cell lines by the Red Sea brine pool bacterial extracts.
- Authors: Sagar S, Esau L, Holtermann K, Hikmawan T, Zhang G, Stingl U, Bajic VB, Kaur M
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 5
- Mining the deep Red-Sea brine pool microbial community for anticancer therapeutics.
- Authors: Esau L, Zhang G, Sagar S, Stingl U, Bajic VB, Kaur M
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 20
- First Insights into the Viral Communities of the Deep-sea Anoxic Brines of the Red Sea.
- Authors: Antunes A, Alam I, Simões MF, Daniels C, Ferreira AJ, Siam R, El-Dorry H, Bajic VB
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- Finding chemo: the search for marine-based pharmaceutical drugs active against cancer.
- Authors: Indumathy S, Dass CR
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Primary producing prokaryotic communities of brine, interface and seawater above the halocline of deep anoxic lake L'Atalante, Eastern Mediterranean Sea.
- Authors: Yakimov MM, La Cono V, Denaro R, D'Auria G, Decembrini F, Timmis KN, Golyshin PN, Giuliano L
- Issue date: 2007 Dec