KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Desert Agriculture Initiative
The Salt Lab
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/316012
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSoil salinity is a major constraint to agriculture. To improve salinity tolerance of crops, various traits can be incorporated, including ion exclusion, osmotic tolerance and tissue tolerance. We review the roles of a range of genes involved in salt tolerance traits. Different tissues and cells are adapted for specific and often diverse function, so it is important to express the genes in specific cell-types and to pyramid a range of traits. Modern biotechnology (marker- assisted selection or genetic engineering) needs to be increasingly used to introduce the correct combination of genes into elite crop cultivars. Importantly, the effects of introduced genes need to be evaluated in the field to determine their effect on salinity tolerance and yield improvement.
CitationRoy SJ, Negrão S, Tester M (2014) Salt resistant crop plants. Current Opinion in Biotechnology 26: 115-124. doi:10.1016/j.copbio.2013.12.004.
JournalCurrent Opinion in Biotechnology
- Mechanisms of plant salt response: insights from proteomics.
- Authors: Zhang H, Han B, Wang T, Chen S, Li H, Zhang Y, Dai S
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 1
- Genetic manipulation of a "vacuolar" H(+)-PPase: from salt tolerance to yield enhancement under phosphorus-deficient soils.
- Authors: Gaxiola RA, Sanchez CA, Paez-Valencia J, Ayre BG, Elser JJ
- Issue date: 2012 May
- Na(+) transport in glycophytic plants: what we know and would like to know.
- Authors: Craig Plett D, Møller IS
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- Differential metabolite profiles and salinity tolerance between two genetically related brown-seeded and yellow-seeded Brassica carinata lines.
- Authors: Canam T, Li X, Holowachuk J, Yu M, Xia J, Mandal R, Krishnamurthy R, Bouatra S, Sinelnikov I, Yu B, Grenkow L, Wishart DS, Steppuhn H, Falk KC, Dumonceaux TJ, Gruber MY
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- Plant salt-tolerance mechanisms.
- Authors: Deinlein U, Stephan AB, Horie T, Luo W, Xu G, Schroeder JI
- Issue date: 2014 Jun