KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Science and Engineering (BESE) Division
Center for Desert Agriculture
The Salt Lab
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/316012
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSoil salinity is a major constraint to agriculture. To improve salinity tolerance of crops, various traits can be incorporated, including ion exclusion, osmotic tolerance and tissue tolerance. We review the roles of a range of genes involved in salt tolerance traits. Different tissues and cells are adapted for specific and often diverse function, so it is important to express the genes in specific cell-types and to pyramid a range of traits. Modern biotechnology (marker- assisted selection or genetic engineering) needs to be increasingly used to introduce the correct combination of genes into elite crop cultivars. Importantly, the effects of introduced genes need to be evaluated in the field to determine their effect on salinity tolerance and yield improvement.
CitationRoy SJ, Negrão S, Tester M (2014) Salt resistant crop plants. Current Opinion in Biotechnology 26: 115-124. doi:10.1016/j.copbio.2013.12.004.
JournalCurrent Opinion in Biotechnology
- Advances in studies on ion transporters involved in salt tolerance and breeding crop cultivars with high salt tolerance.
- Authors: Huang L, Wu DZ, Zhang GP
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Mechanisms of plant salt response: insights from proteomics.
- Authors: Zhang H, Han B, Wang T, Chen S, Li H, Zhang Y, Dai S
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 1
- Engineering salinity tolerance in plants: progress and prospects.
- Authors: Wani SH, Kumar V, Khare T, Guddimalli R, Parveda M, Solymosi K, Suprasanna P, Kavi Kishor PB
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 9
- Rewilding staple crops for the lost halophytism: Toward sustainability and profitability of agricultural production systems.
- Authors: Rawat N, Wungrampha S, Singla-Pareek SL, Yu M, Shabala S, Pareek A
- Issue date: 2022 Jan 3
- Na(+) transport in glycophytic plants: what we know and would like to know.
- Authors: Craig Plett D, Møller IS
- Issue date: 2010 Apr