Effect of the number of stacking layers on the characteristics of quantum-dash lasers
AuthorsKhan, Mohammed Zahed Mustafa
Bhattacharya, Pallab K.
Ng, Tien Khee
Ooi, Boon S.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Computational Physics and Materials Science (CPMS)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA theoretical model is evaluated to investigate the characteristics of InAs/InP quantum dash (Qdash) lasers as a function of the stack number. The model is based on multimode carrier-photon rate equations and accounts for both inhomogeneous and homogeneous broadenings of the optical gain. The numerical results show a non monotonic increase in the threshold current density and a red shift in the lasing wavelength on increasing the stack number, which agrees well with reported experimental results. This observation may partly be attributed to an increase of inhomogeneity in the active region.
CitationKhan MZM, Ng TK, Schwingenschlogl U, Bhattacharya P, Ooi BS (2011) Effect of the number of stacking layers on the characteristics of quantum-dash lasers. Optics Express 19: 13378. doi:10.1364/OE.19.013378.
PublisherThe Optical Society
- Cavity design and characteristics of monolithic long-wavelength InAs/InP quantum dash passively mode-locked lasers.
- Authors: Lin CY, Xin YC, Li Y, Chiragh FL, Lester LF
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 26
- Gain competition in dual wavelength quantum cascade lasers.
- Authors: Geiser M, Pflügl C, Belyanin A, Wang QJ, Yu N, Edamura T, Yamanishi M, Kan H, Fischer M, Wittmann A, Faist J, Capasso F
- Issue date: 2010 May 10
- Optical injection modulation of quantum-dash semiconductor lasers by intra-cavity stimulated Raman scattering.
- Authors: Chen C, Ding G, Ooi BS, Lester LF, Helmy A, Koch TL, Hwang JC
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 15
- Quantitative verification of ab initio self-consistent laser theory.
- Authors: Ge L, Tandy RJ, Stone AD, Türeci HE
- Issue date: 2008 Oct 13
- Analysis of hybrid mode-locking of two-section quantum dot lasers operating at 1.5 microm.
- Authors: Heck MJ, Salumbides EJ, Renault A, Bente EA, Oei YS, Smit MK, van Veldhoven R, Nötzel R, Eikema KS, Ubachs W
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 28