Thinning and functionalization of few-layer graphene sheets by CF4 plasma treatment
KAUST DepartmentComputational Physics and Materials Science (CPMS)
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2012-06-01
Print Publication Date2012
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/315760
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractStructural changes of few-layer graphene sheets induced by CF4 plasma treatment are studied by optical microscopy and Raman spectroscopy, together with theoretical simulation. Experimental results suggest a thickness reduction of few-layer graphene sheets subjected to prolonged CF4 plasma treatment while plasma treatment with short time only leads to fluorine functionalization on the surface layer by formation of covalent bonds. Raman spectra reveal an increase in disorder by physical disruption of the graphene lattice as well as functionalization during the plasma treatment. The F/CF3 adsorption and the lattice distortion produced are proved by theoretical simulation using density functional theory, which also predicts p-type doping and Dirac cone splitting in CF4 plasma-treated graphene sheets that may have potential in future graphene-based micro/nanodevices.
CitationShen C, Huang G, Cheng Y, Cao R, Ding F, et al. (2012) Thinning and functionalization of few-layer graphene sheets by CF4 plasma treatment. Nanoscale Research Letters 7: 268. doi:10.1186/1556-276X-7-268.
JournalNanoscale Research Letters
PubMed Central IDPMC3458992
- Uniform Atomic Layer Deposition of Al<sub>2</sub>O<sub>3</sub> on Graphene by Reversible Hydrogen Plasma Functionalization.
- Authors: Vervuurt RH, Karasulu B, Verheijen MA, Kessels WE, Bol AA
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 14
- Fluorination of graphene: a spectroscopic and microscopic study.
- Authors: Wang B, Wang J, Zhu J
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 25
- Partially Fluorinated Graphene: Structural and Electrical Characterization.
- Authors: Cheng L, Jandhyala S, Mordi G, Lucero AT, Huang J, Azcatl A, Addou R, Wallace RM, Colombo L, Kim J
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Atomic covalent functionalization of graphene.
- Authors: Johns JE, Hersam MC
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 15
- A low-damage plasma surface modification method of stacked graphene bilayers for configurable wettability and electrical properties.
- Authors: Lin CH, Tsai MS, Chen WT, Hong YZ, Chien PY, Huang CH, Woon WY, Lin CT
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 14