Thinning and functionalization of few-layer graphene sheets by CF4 plasma treatment
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Computational Physics and Materials Science (CPMS)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/315760
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractStructural changes of few-layer graphene sheets induced by CF4 plasma treatment are studied by optical microscopy and Raman spectroscopy, together with theoretical simulation. Experimental results suggest a thickness reduction of few-layer graphene sheets subjected to prolonged CF4 plasma treatment while plasma treatment with short time only leads to fluorine functionalization on the surface layer by formation of covalent bonds. Raman spectra reveal an increase in disorder by physical disruption of the graphene lattice as well as functionalization during the plasma treatment. The F/CF3 adsorption and the lattice distortion produced are proved by theoretical simulation using density functional theory, which also predicts p-type doping and Dirac cone splitting in CF4 plasma-treated graphene sheets that may have potential in future graphene-based micro/nanodevices.
CitationShen C, Huang G, Cheng Y, Cao R, Ding F, et al. (2012) Thinning and functionalization of few-layer graphene sheets by CF4 plasma treatment. Nanoscale Research Letters 7: 268. doi:10.1186/1556-276X-7-268.
JournalNanoscale Research Letters
PubMed Central IDPMC3458992
- Uniform Atomic Layer Deposition of Al<sub>2</sub>O<sub>3</sub> on Graphene by Reversible Hydrogen Plasma Functionalization.
- Authors: Vervuurt RH, Karasulu B, Verheijen MA, Kessels WE, Bol AA
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 14
- Fluorination of graphene: a spectroscopic and microscopic study.
- Authors: Wang B, Wang J, Zhu J
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 25
- Partially Fluorinated Graphene: Structural and Electrical Characterization.
- Authors: Cheng L, Jandhyala S, Mordi G, Lucero AT, Huang J, Azcatl A, Addou R, Wallace RM, Colombo L, Kim J
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Single-Step Functionalization and Exfoliation of Graphene with Polymers under Mild Conditions.
- Authors: Skaltsas T, Mountrichas G, Zhao S, Shinohara H, Tagmatarchis N, Pispas S
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 14
- Optical reflectivity and Raman scattering in few-layer-thick graphene highly doped by K and Rb.
- Authors: Jung N, Kim B, Crowther AC, Kim N, Nuckolls C, Brus L
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 26