KAUST DepartmentComputational Physics and Materials Science (CPMS)
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/315735
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBy fully relativistic first principles calculations, we predict that appropriate strain engineering of layered GaX (X=S, Se) leads to a new class of three-dimensional topological insulators with an excitation gap of up to 135 meV. Our results provide a new perspective on the formation of three-dimensional topological insulators. Band inversion can be induced by strain only, without considering any spin-orbit coupling. The latter, however, is indispensable for the formation of local band gaps at the crossing points of the inverted bands. Our study indicates that three-dimensional topological insulators can also be realized in materials which comprise light elements only.
CitationZhu Z, Cheng Y, Schwingenschlögl U (2012) Topological Phase Transition in Layered GaS and GaSe. Physical Review Letters 108. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.108.266805.
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review Letters
- Quantum spin hall insulators in strain-modified arsenene.
- Authors: Zhang H, Ma Y, Chen Z
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 7
- Spin-orbit-induced gap modification in buckled honeycomb XBi and XBi₃ (X = B, Al, Ga, and In) sheets.
- Authors: Freitas RR, Mota Fde B, Rivelino R, de Castilho CM, Kakanakova-Georgieva A, Gueorguiev GK
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 9
- A new class of large band gap quantum spin hall insulators: 2D fluorinated group-IV binary compounds.
- Authors: Padilha JE, Pontes RB, Schmidt TM, Miwa RH, Fazzio A
- Issue date: 2016 May 23
- Pressure induced topological phase transition in layered Bi<sub>2</sub>S<sub>3</sub>.
- Authors: Yang M, Luo YZ, Zeng MG, Shen L, Lu YH, Zhou J, Wang SJ, Sou IK, Feng YP
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 8
- Solid state theory. Quantum spin Hall effect in two-dimensional transition metal dichalcogenides.
- Authors: Qian X, Liu J, Fu L, Li J
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 12