Generation of J_0-Bessel-Gauss beam by a heterogeneous refractive index map
AuthorsSan Roman Alerigi, Damian
Ben Slimane, Ahmed
Ng, Tien Khee
Ooi, Boon S.
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Electrical Engineering Program
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/312979
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this paper, we present the theoretical studies of a refractive index map to implement a Gauss to a J0-Bessel-Gauss convertor. We theoretically demonstrate the viability of a device that could be fabricated on a Si/Si1-yOy/Si1-x-yGexCy platform or by photo-refractive media. The proposed device is 200 ?m in length and 25 ?m in width, and its refractive index varies in controllable steps across the light propagation and transversal directions. The computed conversion efficiency and loss are 90%, and -0.457 dB, respectively. The theoretical results, obtained from the beam conversion efficiency, self-regeneration, and propagation through an opaque obstruction, demonstrate that a two-dimensional (2D) graded index map of the refractive index can be used to transform a Gauss beam into a J0-Bessel-Gauss beam. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first demonstration of such beam transformation by means of a 2D index-mapping that is fully integrable in silicon photonics based planar lightwave circuits (PLCs). The concept device is significant for the eventual development of a new array of technologies, such as micro optical tweezers, optical traps, beam reshaping and nonlinear beam diode lasers. © 2012 Optical Society of America.
CitationSan-Roman-Alerigi DP, Ng TK, Zhang Y, Ben Slimane A, Alsunaidi M, et al. (2012) Generation of J_0-Bessel-Gauss beam by a heterogeneous refractive index map. Journal of the Optical Society of America A 29: 1252. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.29.001252.
PublisherThe Optical Society
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Nonparaxial propagation of Lorentz-Gauss beams in uniaxial crystal orthogonal to the optical axis.
- Authors: Wang X, Liu Z, Zhao D
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 1
- Bessel-Gauss beam enhancement cavities for high-intensity applications.
- Authors: Putnam WP, Schimpf DN, Abram G, Kärtner FX
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 22
- Generation of pulsed Bessel-Gauss beams using passive axicon-theoretical and experimental studies.
- Authors: Parsa S, Fallah HR, Ramezani M, Soltanolkotabi M
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 20
- Generalizing higher-order Bessel-Gauss beams: analytical description and demonstration.
- Authors: Schimpf DN, Schulte J, Putnam WP, Kärtner FX
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 19
- 3-dimensional dark traps for low refractive index bio-cells using a single optical fiber Bessel beam.
- Authors: Zhang Y, Tang X, Zhang Y, Su W, Liu Z, Yang X, Zhang J, Yang J, Oh K, Yuan L
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 15