Two-step controllable electrochemical etching of tungsten scanning probe microscopy tips
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Electrical Engineering Program
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/312975
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDynamic electrochemical etching technique is optimized to produce tungsten tips with controllable shape and radius of curvature of less than 10 nm. Nascent features such as dynamic electrochemical etching and reverse biasing after drop-off are utilized, and two-step dynamic electrochemical etching is introduced to produce extremely sharp tips with controllable aspect ratio. Electronic current shut-off time for conventional dc drop-off technique is reduced to ?36 ns using high speed analog electronics. Undesirable variability in tip shape, which is innate to static dc electrochemical etching, is mitigated with novel dynamic electrochemical etching. Overall, we present a facile and robust approach, whereby using a novel etchant level adjustment mechanism, 30° variability in cone angle and 1.5 mm controllability in cone length were achieved, while routinely producing ultra-sharp probes. © 2012 American Institute of Physics.
CitationKhan Y, Al-Falih H, Zhang Y, Ng TK, Ooi BS (2012) Two-step controllable electrochemical etching of tungsten scanning probe microscopy tips. Review of Scientific Instruments 83: 063708. doi:10.1063/1.4730045.
JournalReview of Scientific Instruments
- The art of electrochemical etching for preparing tungsten probes with controllable tip profile and characteristic parameters.
- Authors: Ju BF, Chen YL, Ge Y
- Issue date: 2011 Jan
- Method of electrochemical etching of tungsten tips with controllable profiles.
- Authors: Chang WT, Hwang IS, Chang MT, Lin CY, Hsu WH, Hou JL
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- Note: Circuit design for direct current and alternating current electrochemical etching of scanning probe microscopy tips.
- Authors: Jobbins MM, Raigoza AF, Kandel SA
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- Note: electrochemical etching of silver tips in concentrated sulfuric acid.
- Authors: Hodgson PA, Wang Y, Mohammad AA, Kruse P
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- Etching gold tips suitable for tip-enhanced near-field optical microscopy.
- Authors: Eligal L, Culfaz F, McCaughan V, Cade NI, Richards D
- Issue date: 2009 Mar