A possible approach on optical analogues of gravitational attractors
AuthorsSan-Román-Alerigi, Damián P.
Ben Slimane, Ahmed
Ng, Tien Khee
Ooi, Boon S.
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/312266
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this paper we report on the feasibility of light confinement in orbital geodesics on stationary, planar, and centro-symmetric refractive index mappings. Constrained to fabrication and [meta]material limitations, the refractive index, n, has been bounded to the range: 0.8 ? n(r) ? 3.5. Mappings are obtained through the inverse problem to the light geodesics equations, considering trappings by generalized orbit conditions defined a priori. Our simulation results show that the above mentioned refractive index distributions trap light in an open orbit manifold, both perennial and temporal, in regards to initial conditions. Moreover, due to their characteristics, these mappings could be advantageous to optical computing and telecommunications, for example, providing an on-demand time delay or optical memories. Furthermore, beyond their practical applications to photonics, these mappings set forth an attractive realm to construct a panoply of celestial mechanics analogies and experiments in the laboratory. © 2013 Optical Society of America.
CitationSan-Román-Alerigi DP, Slimane AB, Ng TK, Alsunaidi M, Ooi BS (2013) A possible approach on optical analogues of gravitational attractors. Optics Express 21: 8298. doi:10.1364/OE.21.008298.
PublisherThe Optical Society
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Impedance matching vertical optical waveguide couplers for dense high index contrast circuits.
- Authors: Sun R, Beals M, Pomerene A, Cheng J, Hong CY, Kimerling L, Michel J
- Issue date: 2008 Aug 4
- Conformal mappings to achieve simple material parameters for transformation optics devices.
- Authors: Turpin JP, Massoud AT, Jiang ZH, Werner PL, Werner DH
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 4
- Ray-optic analysis of the (bio)sensing ability of ring-cladding hollow waveguides.
- Authors: Zheltikov AM
- Issue date: 2008 Jan 20
- Rigorous sufficient conditions for index-guided modes in microstructured dielectric waveguides.
- Authors: Lee KK, Avniel Y, Johnson SG
- Issue date: 2008 Jun 23
- Analysis of the use of tapered graded-index polymer optical fibers for refractive-index Sensors.
- Authors: Arrue J, Jiménez F, Aldabaldetreku G, Durana G, Zubia J, Lomer M, Mateo J
- Issue date: 2008 Oct 13