On the phenomenon of large photoluminescence red shift in GaN nanoparticles
AuthorsBen Slimane, Ahmed
Anjum, Dalaver H.
Elafandy, Rami T.
Ng, Tien Khee
San Roman Alerigi, Damian
Ooi, Boon S.
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report on the observation of broad photoluminescence wavelength tunability from n-type gallium nitride nanoparticles (GaN NPs) fabricated using the ultraviolet metal-assisted electroless etching method. Transmission and scanning electron microscopy measurements performed on the nanoparticles revealed large size dispersion ranging from 10 to 100 nm. Nanoparticles with broad tunable emission wavelength from 362 to 440 nm have been achieved by exciting the samples using the excitation power-dependent method. We attribute this large wavelength tunability to the localized potential fluctuations present within the GaN matrix and to vacancy-related surface states. Our results show that GaN NPs fabricated using this technique are promising for tunable-color-temperature white light-emitting diode applications. © 2013 Slimane et al.; licensee Springer.
CitationSlimane A, Najar A, Elafandy R, San-Román-Alerigi DP, Anjum D, et al. (2013) On the phenomenon of large photoluminescence red shift in GaN nanoparticles. Nanoscale Research Letters 8: 342. doi:10.1186/1556-276X-8-342.
JournalNanoscale Research Letters
PubMed Central IDPMC3733736
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Nanotexturing of GaN light-emitting diode material through mask-less dry etching.
- Authors: Dylewicz R, Khokhar AZ, Wasielewski R, Mazur P, Rahman F
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 4
- Mg 2+-doped GaN nanoparticles as blue-light emitters: a method to avoid sintering at high temperatures.
- Authors: Mahalingam V, Sudarsan V, Munusamy P, van Veggel FC, Wang R, Steckl AJ, Raudsepp M
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- GaN-based ultraviolet light-emitting diodes with AlN/GaN/InGaN multiple quantum wells.
- Authors: Chang HM, Lai WC, Chen WS, Chang SJ
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 6
- Efficient and Stable Red Emissive Carbon Nanoparticles with a Hollow Sphere Structure for White Light-Emitting Diodes.
- Authors: Fan Y, Guo X, Zhang Y, Lv Y, Zhao J, Liu X
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 23
- Ultraviolet electroluminescence from randomly assembled n-SnO(2) nanowiresp-GaN:Mg heterojunction.
- Authors: Yang HY, Yu SF, Liang HK, Lau SP, Pramana SS, Ferraris C, Cheng CW, Fan HJ
- Issue date: 2010 Apr